View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it interesting that the new Aida and the Wilson Audio Alexia V2 tied for Stereophile 2018 product of the year. I read the review of the Aida very carefully. Although superb measurements don't necessarily point to an exceptional loudspeaker, the new Aida measured probably better than any speaker JA has ever measured. (However he did conveniently forget his accelerometer which he uses to measure cabinet resonance. I believe he does this when when he knows the result will be poor because he was able to detect modes with his stethoscope.) These truly otherwise excellent measurements were backed up by the unanimous positive listening impressions of the entire Stereophile staff. Therefore, it's my belief (I certainly could be incorrect) that SF has a new house sound. I'm a little surprised that PM didn't recognize this when he made those comments or perhaps he was referring to the "old" SF house sound, which is the sound the SF forum seems to tremendously enjoy.

The new Alexia (V2) builds on the very impressive strengths of the earlier model but the Wilson house sound remains intact. Apparently, the sound of the new generation of SF speakers is very different from that of their older siblings.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) and Wilson Watch Controller
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and IC’s; Dragon power cords (8)
Sub-woofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable; Wolf IC and Hurricane power cords (2)
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (2); (4) 20-amp lines

Awesome system Charles[emoji1360]. I think you are Hi-End[emoji41]. I consider myself Mid-Fi.