View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Christian View Post
Does anyone have this combo or heard it. Aside from the two Mc's My preamp is the C2500. Would this be a good pairing.
I currently have some older Dali's but I was almost going to pull the the trigger on a pair of B&W 800 which I have heard with my amp setup.

Looking for any good insight/experience from the Magico group.

Best
HC
Hans, admittedly I haven't heard McIntosh gear before, but looking at the retail prices and having a bias toward tube-like solid state, if it were me I would look to simplify my system, and focus on quality over quantity (watts) as I said. To be honest, the Vitus SIA-025 & ASR-Emitter II mentioned earlier (if you don't mind the large box count) are in another league to the McIntosh components you mentioned. The Vitus has "only" 50 watts Class A into 4 ohms, but it is the most powerful 50 watts i've ever heard & easily controls the S5's in my medium size room. Because i've reduced my box count down to one box, i'm able to focus on using higher quality cables & isolation (Stillpoints Ultra 5's) to further optimize the sound. Also the sound is warm, rich, mellifluous & quite analogue sounding, so whilst there may not be as much midrange bloom as tubes (which I don't think is correct actually), you would not be disappointed coming from tubes. Industrial design and build quality are first class. I admit the McIntosh gear has blingy lights and looks pretty, but I find the simple appealing design of the Vitus does not wear on me & stands the test of time. My 2 cents.