View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMercer View Post
Glad to hear it. It was not until you mentioned it did I realize you had your 105 before sending it out for modification. I run my Modwright 105 directly to my Decware Torii MKIII. My modwright BDP-95 and PSA Perfectwave DAC II where my prior sources. The Modwright BDP-105 best them all. The 95 and PS were close but I always found myself listening to the 95.

Did you find the source of your grease? Maybe one disk had something on it that has transfered to your Oppo?
Thx Roy.

So you use the Oppo as the preamp then? I'm still perplexed why the stock 95 sounded better on my Pathos/EA setup than the MW105. On my Classe/B&W setup, the MW105 sounds really nice...more 3D and liquidity. Maybe the other tweaks (power conditioners, dedicated 240V lines, aftermarket power cords, etc.) have something to do with it. Maybe the output impedance changed enough that one component works better than the other.

I am too lazy to swap between the stock 95 and MW105 on the Classe system (the player is sitting on Nordost Sort Kones which sit precariously on the X-beam of those Solid Tech racks...I don't want to have the player drop). Anyway, I compared the MW105 by listening to XLR out and HDMI out. I kinda recall the difference between the stock 95/105's XLR out versus the HDMI out.

Anyway, now I have two setups that I like so no more complaining.

WRT the oil, it's still a mystery. Dan thinks that his mods may have increased the temp around the casing enough that the lubricant in the drive is starting to seep.