View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Semi-audiophile

Instead of power cords I've taken the plunge and ordered my first smartphone, an Apple iPhone 8 plus, from Consumer Cellular. I have 2 weeks left on a 45-day trial, but I'll probably keep the phone. It replaces a Doro PhoneEasy 618, also from Consumer Cellular. It was either this or an iPad, as I wanted an alternate internet source to my iMac, to give it a break from quickie things like checking weather and sports scores. Anything beyond that the iMac still gets. And I figure the phone is more versatile (and more portable; an iPad won't fit in my pocket if I'm going to meet a friend and need to get in touch).

I would like to rebuild my checking account a bit before any more audio-related buys; indeed, before major purchases of any kind. I still think about the power cords though, and also wonder about the Sweet Vinyl SoundCube SC-1, sold by Music Direct, which is said to clean out the pops and clicks from LPs. I have older records which are not noise-free and wonder if the SC-1 can indeed clean them up. I don't know if it does anything with scratches; the ad copy mentions "surface noise" and "ticks and pops." I'd be curious to see. Not curious enough, given the current state of my checking account, to make a move. Who knows? My birthday is about 3.5 months off; perhaps the SC-1 or those power cords will be a self-treat then, provided my usual end-of-year trip south to Tennessee and Texas is covered.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 07-02-2018 at 05:09 AM.