View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Perhaps I like older gear too much, but I have Sennheiser HD600s wth balanced cables driven by MC2205 off of the 8 ohm tap. The connection box has the output wired in parallel with two 200 watt 10 ohm resistors. With the Sennheisers rated at 300 ohms, I believe that any excess power (due to my exuberance) would be drained off by the 10 ohm resisters and not hurt the 300 ohm cans.
One thing about driving headphones with 200WPC, the meters barely go above 0.02 watts at normal listening levels. 0.2 watts will hurt my ears!
At that low of output, the amp is running where the distortion levels are almost unmeasurable.
And the detail is incredible!
In my early life, I wanted to be a jazz musician. Later, I spent time giving private lessons for Ludwig Music House in St. Louis. Later I conducted a local amateur 50 piece orchestra. I spent enough time on a bandstand or in an orchestra pit to know what to listen for. The HD600s with balanced cables from the MC2205 gives me the detail and resolution I remember from within an acoustic musical group!!