View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Magico Mini w/ JL audio

I posted in a different thread about my apprehensions on using my Magico Mini full range aided by a single JL Audio F 113 but that's a whole different aspect of adding subs to a system.

But regarding the marriage, it's truly awesome. Started at a crossover point of 45hz and sound noticeably thickened. Down to 40hz, much better but a trusted friend and I felt it was slowing down the music. So down to 35 hz and at flat attenuation setting it's almost hard to detect the presence of the sub unless the music contains the low frequencies. I don't detect any effect the sub has on the mini's great midrange and if anything, for some reason, the sound seems to have improved across the board save for perhaps the treble region. Soundstage size on some material has really expanded big time and images are now so life like realistically sized. One benefit I want to reiterate is that I seem to be able to play the system louder without strain and this in fact was the thrust of my I initial concern, that louder playback levels may cause me to damage the Minis. While I cannot say that the marriage is perfectly seamless, I've heard full range speakers that had much worse bass integration problems. Since I'm new to subs, I'd like to ask for more feedback from others who've mated subs to their speakers, be they full range or mini monitors.