View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 03:45 AM

Mouse - I think the discussion pops up a lot - not just in dedicated analog vs digital threads but everytime someone mentions a hot new DAC

Anyway.. here's my journey

When I was moving to my new place, I ended up upgrading my digital gear to what I thought was going to be my end of the road system.

EMM Labs XDS (v1) SACD player US$25k
Playback Designs MPS-5 with USB-X box US$17k

I also upgraded the amplifiers (Bel Canto Pre3/REF1000Ms to Audio Research Ref5SE/Electrocompaniet Nemos)

What I heard was stunningly good compared to my old system (also in a much better room) so I was happy.

My analog rig was still in boxes because I didn't have the gear to set them up but I just never missed it.

Then when a friend came visiting, he helped me set up the turntable. Mind you, this was a really modest system in comparison:

Project RPM10.1 evolution with 10cc evolution tonearm
Sumiko Blackbird HOMC cart
Bel Canto Phono3 phono preamp

At the first drop, I was a little gobsmacked.. the life and energy from the vinyl system was so good, it put the much pricier digital system to shame.

Since then I have upgraded my analog gear again and it has been a satisfying journey.
Acoustic Signature Thunder 2017 with linear PS-1 and dual motors
Acoustic Signature TA5000 12" tonearm
Kiseki Purple Heart NS
(also a second arm The Wand Master 12" with Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II)
Audio Research Reference 3 phono

My only gripe is that I can't always find the album I want on vinyl whereas my CD collection and now TIDAL gives me access to so much at the touch of a button.

And then PS Audio released Snowmass the other day.

I'm listening to some of what I know are incredibly bright (and very bad digital glare) digital recordings which would have had me wincing in pain.

But the PS Audio just played it effortlessly. It was detailed and full of life and (I hate to say this) analog sounding.

Suddenly, I am looking at my analog rig and wondering if I made a wrong turn :P