View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Semi-audiophile

Update: I have passed 30 hours with the Mullards and they have smoothed out some, but still have that powerful bottom end, and have enough crispness on top that I really have to consider these are the tubes for long-term. I still have GLs here, but I'm liking the Mullards plenty, and may not want to take them out. As said before, things sound more like a live performance with the Mullards in my system than with their predecessors. I like them, officially.

I've read that the GLs are a bit more relaxed than other tubes of the 12AX7 type, according to one review. Since I have an all-in-one system, I don't necessarily want "relaxed" with some movies or concert DVDs. Of course, one person's "relaxed" may not be mine. But, the GLs are still here, and I'm leaning toward not installing them after a month automatically, as if by ritual. I will have to be moved to do so naturally, I think; curiosity or dissatisfaction will have to be the prime mover.

And I still haven't played vinyl yet.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks