View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
I wonder how much of the differences were because one sub was a 13" while the other was a 16"? I wonder how a 13" SVS would have compared?
Fair question. Probably the biggest news and selling feature of the SVS is their new driver, and it's quite a story. Link. I'm not sure what JL uses for their magnets (assume it's ferrite) but the SVS is ferrite, a lot of it. That's not the hot stuff but with an 8" voice coil, there's plenty of room to get the job done. It should have plenty of control.

I have no way to measure subsonic output but subjectively, the JL lacks for nothing but has better definition and greater resolution of the bass in my situation. I don't think it's just about the size of the cone.

I intend to listen to the JL for a few more days, then go back to the SVS and see how my initial impressions hold up. I'll try to determine if I was driving the SVS harder than the JL and give it another opportunity (or two) as I get accustomed to both devices. I can measure SPL above 20Hz quite consistently and I will do that over the days and week or two to come. I'd like to see if I've been driving the SVS harder or if there's more something to it and why I took such an instant shine to the JL.

This ain't necessarily over, you're just following my process.