View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Curtis.......

I would add that if one uses a directional FM antenna you will also need to use a remote controlled rotor on the antenna mast so that you can point your antenna in the direction of the broadcast tower for highest gain or adjust the direction to help overcome multipath reflections. With a directional antenna there is no 'set and forget' unless the towers you wish to receive from are all located in one general area ...
Thanks, Dan! This is so true that it was an error of omission for me to have not mentioned it. Directional antennas often don't lend themselves to a casual scan up or down the dial for that reason.

As a workaround, I use a fixed directional antenna and an omni. They each have separate downleads to my tuner, which can switch between the two antenna inputs. Most of the stations I listen to are on one of two master antennas, each located on a Very Big Building in a fairly distant (60 miles) Very Big City, and each essentially in the exact same direction. It's in that direction that the directional antenna is oriented. The omni antenna picks up the few local suburban stations that I listen to and - because they are more local stations - the omni suffices. The omni also does a surprisingly good job with the distant stations. But, when I switch to the directional antenna, there is no comparison between the two.