View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Go Dawgs

Lightbulb Buck's (audioguy3107) Room/System. Updated pics.

Well I haven't done a proper system thread for a really long time. My room and system have undergone a bunch of changes, some small some not so small. I felt my old pictures didn't really do justice to the time and effort I spent on the room so I wanted to post a "final" (yeah, right) thread that better shows off some of the things I did when we designed and set up the room. I know we all like pics, so I tried my best to take some good photos using the iPhone X. Even tried a few panoramic photos, so we'll see how those turn out here! I wish I had some decent before/afters, but I'll try and explain some of the things that went into the design. I'll have several posts with pics......so I don't lose my train of thought as I'm typing!

I come from the religion of "the room is one of if not the most important part of your system". I've seen and heard many megabuck systems that could really use a proper room. Marc (2fastdriving), Steve and Ed (For the love of music) were probably tired of listening to me harp on it last year at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

So first, we have some general room pics, the room is roughly 16 X 24 with a very high ceiling. Flooring is custom 5" hardwoods stained with 50/50 Minwax Jacobean and Mahogany color:

**pics edited on 8/8/19 with newer equipment and Avalon Acoustics Isis**

Panoramic view:

View from the french doors:

So some things about the room, it started out as a pretty dark man cave, I used a very dark reddish clay paint on the wall. It was difficult to do anything in the evening with it being so dark, so we wanted to lighten it up a bit and went with a lighter tan/beige color. We had stain grade plantation shutters installed on the bay windows and decided to do window coverings. My wife and I chose some tan dark sand colored cotton drapes from Restoration Hardware to diffuse some light coming in from the bay windows, not to mention I can pull them shut when listening so tame the front wall reflections. The couch and ottoman we thought would work well in the room since we didn't want to go with solitary seating. We were really pleased with the quality of the Comfortable Couch Company, a custom furniture maker in North Carolina, https://www.cococohome.com/about-us/. It has held up almost as brand new and looks nice, I can also pull the ottoman forward if I really want to stretch out. The rug that covers most of the floor is a Persian style offering from Pottery Barn: https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/rug.../?cm_type=gnav It wasn't centered in the room until I moved everything around getting ready for my new rack, I ended up pulling it about 2 feet closer to the bay window which provided me with about 240 sq. feet of floor coverage. I wanted a really nice floor lamp to read by but that would also add something to the decor, I really liked the look of the lamp in the above photo, I also found it at Pottery Barn as well. Next, Pt. 2.

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 08-10-2019 at 05:35 PM.