View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I auditioned a pair of both the 805 D3 and 705 S2 models at Best Buy, but not on the same day. I thought the 705 s2's sounded better at less than half the price so I bought them. They are still breaking in but sound wonderful.

My impressions of the 805 D3's was that they sounded more impressive than the 705 s2's, but less natural. The leading edge of the notes sounded too sharp to me and there seemed to be a big hole somewhere in the upper midrange. The same personality was present in the 705 D3's but was more muted, and to me, more appealng.

My bias is classical music so I appreciate a natural accurate sound rendered to acoustic instruments. I also like hearing natural hall ambiance. To my ear, even the 705 s2's slightly exaggerated the depth of the sound field to produce a beautiful but not always accurate sense of depth. Chamber music seemed to be coming from a big warm hall not the actual smaller venue.

In spite of this criticism, I am thrilled with the vividness (dynamics) of the music, imaging, and overall musicality
Pretty much sums up my impressions too. Even if cost was no object the 705S2 would be my first choice stand-mount at the moment. They're that good.