View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Funny J. Bill, the dealer Cimarra who said it was full MQA just made a mistake as he was really excited over the news. My honest deal is that I've heard full MQA in my system via to Meridian and I didn't think it sounded any better than my high res recordings. I only had a few of the same recordings that was on the short playlist I was given to play with.

I do like it and it will sound great on portable gear that can utilize it, but I'm not losing sleep over using just MQA core for now. Like anything in digital it's evolving daily. I'm still not 100% sold on it being the be all end all due to all their licensing they require everyone to go through. I know of a high end DAC designer who can't afford the licensing and won't install MQA ever. I'm sure others feel the same way. It will be fine streaming them from Tidal as they should sound better than the 16/44.1, but I thought I read somewhere that they are only giving us 17 or 18 bits and sampling up to 96. I thought I read that on another forum yesterday, although who knows. Maybe it's just all 'fake news' that Blackstone is alluding to, lol.

I'm sure it will help Ayre sell a few more of their DAC's overall (same with some of the other companies), but will they really sound that much better? I guess we all want anything new, lol....I know I do. Not going to lie. I am excited about this upgrade.