Thread: active x-overs
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 07:03 PM

Default Agreed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulphoosreal View Post
I'd use the 40. You are only seeking to bolster the low end and take the load off your bass drivers. I crossover at 40 with my Aerial 7Ts and its remarkable how they sound. Like a full range floor stander!
That is a really good recommendation; the lowest (sensible) cross-over frequency selected, the better. For a full-range loudspeaker, 60 Hz. would be the upper limit -depending of course on slope. With 24 db/LR, at x-over point, signal level is down (theoretically) 6-db.; in which case, if set to 45 Hz (LP/HP),
the 'Mains' are already down (-) 6db -a considerable attenuation, implying a roll off some 0.5/1-octave above (and below) set x-over point.

Ensuring that only the main speakers reproduce the 40Hz/50 Hz. and up region ensures the bulk of (99%) of instrument fundamental tones are reproduced by the main speakers; once we creep up into 70-90 Hz (x-over), the sub now becomes a significant 'stereo' contributor -not a good idea to my mind/ ears.

As many here know, the improvements gained with a premium sub/main (both acoustically/electrically) the listener is in for a real 'treat'; enveloping, dynamic, clear, articulate -amazing SQ.

Cheers,

pj