View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Sorry in advance for the long post...

I don't think there is a substitute for an audition - its all rhetoric until you listen for yourself. I wrote up these notes for an interested friend after my auditioning. I'm taking out comparisons to several other speakers outside the price range. I ordered the Sopra 2 so I am obviously biased - in my opinion the Sopra 2 is simply a better class of speaker than the Olympica 3. We actually liked the Sopra 1 more than than the Olympica 3.

Sanus Faber Olympica 3 -
Audition system included an Ayre Amp ($8,000) and Pre-amp ($8,000), Berkeley DAC ($5,000), Cardas clear-beyond cables (speaker cable is $7,000). The room was well treated with a high ceiling and exceptionally quiet.

Wife instantly loved the Olympica 3. The Olympica 3 is more resolving than my Meadowlark Herron i's but equally laid back. On the Olympica 3 singers tend to sound over-sized and instruments are detailed but bigger than life. The Olympica 3 is a very nice musical and intimate speaker to listen to. To me it seemed like a better version of what I already have (and I am not sure how much of that is the electronics). The Olympica 3 is a very good speaker, but not what I'm currently looking for in a different speaker. I can see how someone might choose the Olympica 3 over the Sopra.

Focal Sopra N1 -
Audition system included a Simaudio Moon 700i integrated ($13,000), and Simaudio Moon 380d DAC ($4,350) with Nordost Tyr cables (speaker $5,400). Nice sounding treated room with a vaulted ceiling.

About 30 seconds into the first song, wife and I exchanged knowing looks. The Sopra 1 has tons of detail but is less forward in its presentation than some speakers we auditioned. Notice I did not say it is laid-back like the Olympica 3 and Meadowlark it simply is not forward like some speakers.

When listening for mid-range detail I listen for a quick brassy honk from a trumpet. On the Sopra 1 the brassy honk was there. Frankly getting that quick brassy honk right is a calling card of a true high-end speaker. I also listen to violins to hear if more than one is playing. The Sopra 1 ability to separate several violins all playing at once was in a different league than the Olympica 3. I can hear the placement of the individual violins (rather than just one extra large violin) without any unnatural exaggeration.

The Sopra 1 presentation seemed completely relaxed and as clear as some very high end systems I have heard. Wife would get the Sopra 1 over the Sopra 2 and pocket the difference.

Focal Sopra N2 -
A couple weeks later (mid-September) we auditioned the Sopra 2 on the same system and room as the Sopra 1. The mid-range was as good or better than the Sopra 1. The Sopra 2 bass is something special: FAST, tight, dynamic, and deep yet extremely well integrated with the rest of the spectrum. Simply some of the best bass I've heard. Order placed.

I think Doug Schneider heard it pretty much the same way. Except Doug says the Sopra 2 is a little tipped up but not edgy. If the Sopra is tipped up, I just don't hear it. Maybe he is projecting other focal products on it. Maybe I hear it as enhanced resolution or I'm deaf.

I am very sensitive to listener fatigue... I do not hear any brightness or forwardness with the Sopra and I can listen all afternoon without the slightest hint of listener fatigue. To me the Sopra sounds neutral and has a relaxed presentation. YMMV