Thread: BDP-1 and BDA-1
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi James,

As I mentioned (of topic) on another tread, I was going to audition your headphone amp. Did so today. Brought my own Grado GS1000 headphones and my Lehmann headphone amp for comparison. Also listened to the Sennheiser HD800.

I fully expected a big difference in character between the Grado and the Senn. What I was not prepared for was the actual difference between the Lehmann and BHA-1. I used to think that I had one of the best headphone amps out there, Sennheiser even used them at the demo during the launch of the HD800. However, the sound from the BHA-1 was much more open and so much closer to “being there”. The Lehmann had an abundance of high’s and low’s, but sounded much more clinical. The BHA oozed music and was much more “3-dimensional” if you will.

What a machine!

IMO the difference between the phones was more a matter of taste than an actual difference in quality, both having an astounding level of detail. For classical music I definitely preferred the airiness of the Sennheiser, but the directness of the Grado was great for Jazz.

Needless to say I ordered the BHA-1 (and a HD800 for good measure). Had already decided on the BDP/BDA combo. For headphone music this is about as good as it gets! Now all I need is an aftermarket XLR cable for the Senn!

Cheers,
Bob