View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
Lumens isn't as important as most people make it out to be, though you don't want something really low obviously.
Not sure what people are being referenced here, or how important they are making it out to be, or how low 'really low' is, so I am not sure what kinda numbers you have in mind. Lumens are not the only thing, but they are important and affect everything else.

I have noticed lumens isn't important until you don't have enough. Think of the absurdity of the man with a pair of Mcintosh MC1.2kw amps with JBL speakers at 98db/1watt sensitivity amps saying that watts isn't as important as most people make it out to be, when he has more watts at his disposal than he could ever need. Many applications will only require a low lamp mode on a projector, and thus the fan noise is lessened, etc, but every application has to be treated individually.

If you have a low output projector being used with a) a low gain screen, b) a room without light control, c) reflective surfaces in the room, d) a long throw to the image, e) a large screen, etc . . ., then you will need a high number of lumens to compensate.

I have noticed that most people have never seen a high quality projection device with a large light output, but it is very impressive. So much so that many videophiles will even change the bulb every 500 hrs to keep their lumen count up because of the difference it makes.