Thread: New 800 series
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 AM

Imagine what a MX-150 should cost in Zimbabwe with its gazillion % inflation!

I kind of agree with all that has been said here. We have a similar perspective over here with all those Chinese exports passing through our ports enroute to the US and Europe.

The Corvette comment was right on the nail. For its price the Corvette is a bargain (let's ignore the babylonian suspension and fisher price interior) but no-one can buy one because they are not made in right hand drive. Why are our roads full of bmws, mercs, audis, ferraris whose home markets have the wheel on the same side as the US.

For too long the US market was too americentric. Even now it drives me nuts when I try to buy something online from the US and it tells me to put in my state, which if you don't, will stop the order processing. Or huge multinationals like Ralph Lauren who won't ship overseas (except to GIs, Guam, Saipan etc etc). What do I do? I buy from Europe where the manufacturers have heard of the word 'export'.

I applaud the principle of buying local (if you want this idea taken to the extreme look up "the league of gentlemen", a British comedy where the local village shop will not sell to anyone who is not from the village) and Mcintosh is an example of a US company that exports globally albeit it at varying prices. Now if only the others would follow suit.

Now where's my 230V Mcintosh MPC1500? !!