View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
General question for those with fire bottle amps and relatively high output sources; am I missing anything by running my dac straight into an inspire 45?

Dennis built my amp (like some others) with a volume pot on the front. My dac also has a remote control that can adjust volume. I can play way louder than I ever would want but not sure if I'm missing out on something a preamp would give. Obviously I could buy and try but would like to get a few opinions first so I don't end up with something I don't need. I know one person here who skips the pre stage and goes straight to the amp from his turn table.

Speakers are a set of Omega Junior 8s at 98db.

From my limited experience with headphones I know loudness is not a good measure of performance, but not entirely sure this situation is applicable since the speakers are already getting amplification/power.

Appreciate any input the collective has for this newby.
I use a Cary 303T SACD player into a 6SN7 preamp into 6f6 Inspire. The 303T has a switchable tube or solid state output. With the tubes switched in it sounds a lot better. More musical and full, big difference in the sound of voices and horns. The 303T feeds into a 6SN7 preamp. This allows you to tune the sound to your liking by rolling tubes. The 6SN7 tubes come in many flavors from fast and detailed to mellow and full. Makes listening fun when you can try various tube combinations. Bet you would enjoy adding a preamp.