Thread: Out of phase
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Default Out of phase

Hi Guys,

I have built a pair of loudspeakers using GPA 604H II (Altec replicas) drivers. The crossovers were build by a German guy, Herr Werner Jagusch. They are powered by a Shindo Montille.

What I discovered when I ran a demo CD was that the speakers were out of phase.

I have checked the bass drivers with a 9V battery and they are correctly connected (red is +, the membrane moves forward when I apply 9V between the terminals). For the compression drivers, I can't check (I can't see the membranes).

I have also sent the crossovers back to Werner and he checked them, said they are ok.

I have checked the phasing with 3 amplifiers and on all of them I got "out of phase" (with the speaker's cables correctly connected I got the out-of-phase message perfectly centered in-between the speakers - and vice-versa).

Any idea what is going on?

Now, with the speaker's cables inverted for one speaker (red for -) I got the in phase signal perfectly centered in-between the speakers - but since the bass drivers are correctly labeled, they must be out-of-phase in this situation....or I am completely misunderstanding these things.

Any HELP would be much appreciated!