View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I think you're right. I'm by no means an expert, so take it for what it's worth, but a remodeling contractor told me a few years ago that a popcorn ceiling doesn't have that much asbestos in it, and it's not a danger as long as it stays intact. Paint should effectively seal it, and asbestos dust will only be released if it's damaged, scraped, etc. The biggest issue will be if you remove it - then you create lots of airborne fibers and create a potentially more serious risk. So if you opt to have it removed, you should have it professionally done. Back in the 80s I was responsible for an old New England textile mill and we had asbestos insulation on water and heating pipes. Some we had to have the insulation removed, but others the contractor deemed easier and safer to seal them situ with I-don't-rememebr-what.
I have heard similar stories, and what you say does make sense: ie: if left undisturbed, there should be no reason for the particles to disperse, and the popcorn coating is supposedly covering them. I am sure more than one lawyer made a very lucrative career trying to instill fear in folks, and part of the myths and legends probably originate from that... We do have a few friends of the family who are contractors and have their own re-modelling business. I'll make sure to ask them about this and see what the bottom line is. Thanks for your feedback!