View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diapason View Post
I'm bumping this because I'm coming dangerously close to buying a pair of (used) Elipsa REDs without even hearing them, never mind hearing them in my room. Is this crazy behaviour?

Can anyone with the knowledge give me some idea how the Elipsa SE compares sonically to the Amati Futura? I'm very familiar with the latter, and if I could get "close" to that sound I'd be very happy. There's nowhere locally to dem the Elipsas, and hearing them would involve flights and a day off work that I can't really spare at the moment.

I think I need somebody to talk some sense into me!
Hi Diapason. If it makes you feel any better, I had heard the original Elipsas only once at my dealer's (and loved them), and then I had auditioned the SE version at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest only once as well (and loved them even more). After that I "saw" the speakers many, many times, but did not get the chance to do a proper audition again. Not ideal, of course, but I was familiar with the Sonus faber "house sound", so to speak, having owned Toy Towers for many years and also because I had spent time with Stradivaris, Futuras, Cremonas, Guarneris, etc... But sometimes you just go with your gut feeling. I took a really big leap of faith when I purchased my pair of Elipsa SE's without really having the chance to audition them at home first (as in your case). You can read all about that on these very pages, of course. But, to cut to the chase: I do not regret the decision at all!