View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Carl, If those are FPB 350's I agree. I owned a FPB 700 stereo amp (700 watts.ch). It was a monster. Can you find a pair? Are they available?
Thank you for your input. I'm here to learn and get better at this hobby so every point of view and listen to many initiated friends different experiences is to be considered and helpful.

At this point I'm not sure that more power than 350mc delivers is better i my system. I explain why.

I think it is possible to find almost any FPB products if I put in some effort.
Since the range is old it's not possible to contact a dealer and try some products side by side.
More power in the FPB-range is not always better for the over all sound quality. In my system the 350mc delivers power needed. Before I bought the 350mc I'v learned by some former long term Krell dealers, importers and Krell technician in Sweden that the 350mc and 450mcx may be the best over all sounding amp in the FBP series unless your speaker are very demanding and is in the need of even more power. They explain this independently of each other. I can not say that I tried this side by side my selves, but these guys have a lot of experience of Krell since early days and they all are quite confident. They don't think my sound would benefit from bigger Krell amp. I'v been explained that one reason for this can be that the very special and clever way Krell designed the klass A monster power is with a lot of transistors and the more powerfull they are the signal goes through many more transistors. The "original signal" therefore can be affected due to a long signal path through a lot of components, but more powerful. So, the 350mc delivers needed power for my system and therefor I don't get better sound quality from more power.

My Gryphon Antileon, on the other side, with only 150 watt more traditional klass A sometimes starting to have some trouble with higher and more live like volymes and dynamics. Otherwise it sounds really great at lower volymes. My speakers are 92db and lack no power when played with the 350mc. My system really comes to life in better way with Krell. This is even more obvious with a good reel to reel source that is capable of much better dynamics than Vinyl and digital source can deliver. Actually the lack of power in my Gryphon was not really discovered before I tried reel to reel with good quality master copies. Reel to reel, good big speakers and with fast powerful amps delivers the best live like sound you can imagine.
When using a reel to reel machine in your system it will reveal both how good it can sound and where your week parts are. I'v heard this in many systems including my own.