View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 PM

You bet... sorry about the delayed response - I've been traveling on business this week and just catching up.

So, the home was new construction with the foundation poured and most of the framing done when I visited Ivan's home in the Cape. The plans defined a square "TV room" to home our small (46" 1080 plasma), tired television that rarely was powered on. The idea of turning that room into a HT really sparked the discussions around room dimension. The room boundary at the rear was the utility room and a hallway with the only access on the left and those two sides couldn't really be modified, but the other two boundaries were garage space. I basically called my builder from Ivan's back yard and had them tear down one of the garage walls that was framed out and cannibalize that part of the garage that had exterior access for lawn equipment, tools, etc. This pushed the room to its current dimension of 15' 10" wide by 24' 4" long and made the front boundary an exterior wall of the house. When I got home from that trip, I had the framer build the columns along the side walls where the sconces are hanging that house the side surround speakers and build the pedestal for the rear seating row. I ran 2" conduit to each speaker location to a gangway in the attic above the room along with 2 pair of 12 gauge speaker wire as placeholders. I had the electrician put in an isolated 40 amp subpanel for the room and home run all the outlets in the room and equipment area with 10 gauge wire. We installed the sheetrock, painted, carpet, etc and then it sat empty for a little over a year and a half with I figured out what gear to finish it with and how to pay for it.

So, it was new construction... but spread out over 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Great job. Can you provide a bit more context? Is this new construction in a new home, or is it retrofit into existing construction? What's outside the boundaries of the four walls? What are the room dimensions?