View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Yes the speaker is aligned in time at the listening position. Were you to pulse test with the resolution (think microseconds, not milliseconds) necessary, you could duplicate the measurement.

The reason Wilson has such detailed settings for proper speaker set up is to create the proper alignment at the listener's chosen position. Should that change, so too do the settings. These settings are not based on putting a tape measure to each driver but on the measured time from input at the speaker terminals to arrival at the listener's ear.

When doing setups such as the WAMM on which I am currently working in Monaco, I provide engineering with the exact listening distance and ear height (our manual based charts show differences of 6 inches listening distance and 1 inch listening heights) so they can generate the most precise settings possible for the particular installation.
Thank you for your reply, yes, I understand that the drivers can be aligned, BUT unless you are Time-coherent from the start, which means you did not mess up timing in the XO (Only 6db XO, no drivers phase revers, etc.), you are, from the get-go, already “out-of-sync.” So your speakers may be time-aligned at the listening position (although I couldn't find any measurements that will support this), but they can’t be time coherent. So what is the point??
BTW, microseconds resolution are in the megahertz frq realm. Not sure microphones can even measure it (and of course, no living creature will hear it either ). Sound will travel 3.5mm in one m/s, how
would anyone hold his head in such spot?
Also, could not find any reference to any medical research that shows that people can “reliably hear intervals below 10 microseconds”. I mean that would be hearing frqs above 100Khz

Last edited by marsalis; 08-31-2019 at 09:25 PM.