View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 AM

Hi stereoquest - I think we may all be talking about different things. I was not talking about number of turns, or impedance ratio. I was referring to Coppy's comments "Each output tube needs it's own winding for input" and "These big transformers where there are eight output tubes are complex beasts", which I read to mean that Coppy thought that each tube had its own wire going into the transformer (eg 8 individual wires for 8 output tubes, or 4 individual wires for 4 output tubes) and that each of those wires were wound around the transformer core individually (as its own winding) for input making the transformer more complex.

My point was that the transformers are not like that and the tubes outputs are paralleled before being fed into the transformers. So the transformers themselves are not necessarily more complex just based on there being more tubes.

I may have misread what Coppy was writing about though - I am not sure.

In any case, it probably doesn't really matter - they are amplifiers and they do their job of amplifying. As users we don't really need to know the low level details. Though it is interesting.