View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I agree with Bryan that you need to get the firmware directly from Krell. In addition to EEPROM version and firmware version, there are actually a couple of different DSP boards used in the S1200U 3D (due to the CS497004 DSP chip discontinued and replaced with CS497024). The firmware is a little different for each of these versions. Krell knows exactly what you have based on serial number. This is not like the old days, such as the HTS 7.1 where the firmware could be shared around.

The latest 2.0G version (changed from 1.9G) was actually due to a bug I found in February and was quickly fixed by Krell. This bug actually affected the sound quality of most bluray movies. Essentially, when playing DTS-MA bluray movies through HDMI and having the Krell do the DTS decoding, it was applying dynamic range compression even though DYNAMIC RANGE was set to MAX / OFF in the menu. This is when the Krell display shows "DTS-HD MSTR". I found this bug when I discovered that the digital coax input actually sounded better than HDMI when playing DTS-MA bluray movies. The HDMI input just didn't have as much volume and impact/explosiveness and there was hardly any bass. Much better with the 2.0G firmware upgrade!

I will echo Bryan's comments that the Krell is the best sounding processor out there. It's unfortunate that it is discontinued. I guess the consumer market leans towards 4K, room correction, atmos, etc., instead of focusing on sound quality. I think this may be the last best processor of this generation.

The reason that the unit stays hot is that Krell keeps voltage on the main power supply section even in standby. Since it's a shunt regulated power supply (as opposed to normal 78xx/79xx regulated), the power supply itself operates in somewhat of a Class A mode and constantly passes voltage across the power supply transistors, which causes heat in the case. This keeps the power supply "warm" and ready to go. It can also cause the electrolytic capacitors to age and dry out over time. If you want to prevent this, just turn off the master switch on the back of the unit when you're not using it.