View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
E.......No one pissed in my Wheaties today, at least not until I read your post.

I made no comment about the usefulness of the D-02X or how compelling it may or may not be to some. Furthermore, what you call a useless spinner I call a valuable transport that I enjoy to use. I realize what camp you stand in and promote. I have no problem with your personal bias in support of your music server, but your opinion certainly doesn't make obsolete all other means of digital playback as somehow suddenly useless, not by a long shot.

As for the co-developed Esoteric VCXO high-precision clock (±0.5 ppm), it is found in the K-03, K-01, K-03X, K-01X, and the Grandioso D1. It is not exclusive to the K-01X and up. The point I was trying to make and you seemed to miss is the ±0.5 ppm precision has been a benchmark for years. I think it would be advantageous to see that benchmark raised without having to employ an external clock, especially in the $20,000 DAC price range. It was wishful thinking on my part, not lamenting.

My comment about being disappointed that Ivan seems to have abandoned the idea of auditioning the G-02 clock with the K-03X centers on my desire to know how that combination performs and the advantages of using the G-02 versus not using it, especially since my curiosity can often be a precursor to a purchase. Ivan initially said he intended to audition the G-02 with the K-03X. I responded to a couple of posts about that. Now he has up the ante to the D-02X DAC. I understand his reasoning. Legend Audio is a business and decisions made for Legend aren't made by me. None the less, I was anxiously waiting to hear the results of the G-02 and K-03X pairing, which now appears to be scuttled. That's fine, but a disappointment for me just the same. I simply expressed my point of view.
Well see... When you put it in the wishful thinking side of things it makes a whole lot more sense. In that case I not only see your point but agree with it. Getting more performance for the same dollar is always a pro consumer philosophy and one I tend to advocate for.

And yes you certainly know which camp I am in. But perhaps I should clarify since what you call bias is simple objective reasoning: by ditching the transport, which even by TEAC standards represented a large OEM cost, esoteric is now able to deliver, what is, essentially, mini D1s crammed into a single box, for the same price as the K01x. There is also plenty of data out there on the buying habits of consumers: physical media is on the way out and has been for some time. Yes some will always cling to the past but even the ultra high end manufacturers must adapt to survive within a new generation of purchasers (many of whom still need training and coaching on the important virtues of quality over crap).