View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 01:57 AM

Default Digital alien needs basic help with DAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
You don't want to use HDMI as a protocol for streaming music files to a DAC.

It is too noisy and inherently laden with problems. This is exactly why Arcam, for many years, did not support audio output via HDMI with its excellent AVRs.

It's fine for video, but it is suboptimal for high-end audio, especially high-res files.

I find physical transports to be superior sounding compared to servers or streaming at least in my system. And I have a reasonably good server in my system (Sound Galleries Monaco EVO).

I’m currently using a Kalista Dreamplayer as a CD transport to feed a TotalDac d1-12 MkII, and it sounds pretty amazing to my ears

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the Kalista transport manufacturer has no plans to make a universal transport anytime in the near future. And if they did, I’m sure it would be pretty expensive.

The D-BOB provides me with a fairly inexpensive way to transform an inexpensive Oppo player into a fairly decent universal transport that feeds a very upscale R2R DAC (TotalDac d1-12 MkII) that allows me to play concert DVDs and SACDs that sound really good to my ears, at least in my system.

The TotalDac d1-12 is a three box-unit with a reclocker and two mono DACs. Perhaps the resulting sound quality from even the humble Oppo’s hdmi digital output may have to do with the TotalDac’s ability to reduce the incoming jitter.

Last edited by cmarin; 04-04-2020 at 02:07 AM.