Thread: Coltrane 3
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 PM

Thanks for posting this.

I am currently auditioning the Marten Mingus Quintet's my room and am also hearing these qualities.

The disappearance act in these First Order cell concept drivers is very uncanny. Now the Mingus uses the 5" midrange and tweeter from the Marten Coltrane Supreme 2. The Coltrane 3 has a 7" version.

I really really like the midrange weight that the Tenors have. Let me know if you feel the Coltrane 3 midrange fills out closer towards that Tenor midrange you are undoubtedly familiar with. I get that weighted sound in my Bird 2 as well. So far, the Mingus nor the Coltrane 2 Supreme's have that tonal richness I'm accustomed to.c, I am going to have to play with some tube rolling, vibration control etc. to get the mids to fill out like I want. I am looking for bloom, weight and tonal density that the second generation Marten speakers have (Bird 2, Coltrane Tenors, Coltrane II etc.), yet seem to be somewhat elusive to these new cell concept speakers.

At any rate, I am really looking forward to your comments as you are especially coming out fresh from the Tenors.

I will be making a decision between the Tenors and the Mingus Quintet in the near future Congrats again!

Here is are my Bird 2's and now the Marten Mingus in their place on loan.

Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor

Last edited by shaizada; 06-20-2016 at 08:00 PM.