View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM
From the BAT cave ...

The WireWorld loom now has north of 300 hours on it. The situation is much like it was at 200 hours, so I think the changes have topped out.

To say it sounds magical would be selling it short. And by magical I mean that it is so natural and resolving that it lets the emotion of the music come through. I no longer sit here thinking about how it sounds. Instead, I have this big grin on my face with my toes tapping.

Since I cannot describe emotions, I will resort to describing the sound. But again, this is an approximation of the experience.

Resolution – the ability to resolve complex passages is surprisingly good, but I do run up against the limits of the speakers and the room. But the ability to resolve all the detail in smaller ensembles is shockingly good. I can play the music at half my usual listening volume and hear deeply into the music. If there is an instrument being played, you hear it clearly and at its proper loudness. Not symphonies, but even the Big Phat Band players are individually located and heard.

Bass – bass response in my room took a giant leap forward because of my ASC tube traps. But I also think the improvement is in part due to the power cords. It is not louder than it should be, but somehow has more presence. I would love to get dedicated 20 amp circuits in my listening room and see what that adds.

Treble – this had been a sore point before the new cables. Cymbals just did not sound right. Upper register instruments did not sparkle. I am sure some of it was the former 50’ speaker cable run (now 8’), but some of it was copper vs. copper clad in silver. Now all the shimmer is there for cymbals, flutes sing, and bells ring.

Mid-range – I had loved the mid-range with the old wires. It was a romantic sound – warm, smooth, but with attenuated highs. Fortunately, although maybe a tick less warm than before, the mid-range is totally delicious. And now the highs are where they should be.

Sound stage and Imaging - are wonderful. Wider than the speakers and deeper than the front wall. The imaging is sp good that you get a holographic effect. The speakers routinely disappear.

In short, I got just what I was hoping for: musical and detailed at the same time. And that takes me straight to the emotion in the music.