View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I'm doing an HT setup in which an Oppo 205 sends HDMI to the SP3. The SP3 distributes balanced front LR to Ayre KX-5 by-pass inputs. The KX-5 distributes balanced mono to a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager. I assume the front LR speakers should be set to large in the SP3 menu so the full bandwidth is passed to the KX-5 and onto the forth order 80 Hz crossover of the SMS-1, is that correct?

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to use inputs to the SMS-1 from both the KX-5 and SP3, because both are active simultaneously for HT and surround music.

The reason for going through the KX-5 is that it links to a VX-5 that drives the KEF Ref 1s. For stereo a QX-5 receives files from Roon via ethernet and passes analog through the KX-5 and VX-5 to the Ref 1s.
This reads like a sound compromising configuration. I own the SMS-1 and I had it connected from my sub out on the SP3 for my HGS-18 Velodyne sub. But, I found the low frequencies sound better without the SMS-1 and I just moved the subs around. Again, the SP3 sounded better without the benefit of the SMS-1 in my setup.