View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

So that brings me to another question then.

What is your philosophy of acquiring gear? We obviously all start somewhere but as the system evolves, do you find that you would rather:

1. Acquire components within your immediate budget range and upgrade at some point in the not too distant future as a clear upgrade path presents itself?

2. Do you allocate budget and save up for a dream component even if it takes time to get there? At the risk of that dream component eventually being replaced by a newer model from the manufacturer eroding the resale value of such an expensive component just as you finally saved up for it? (Yeah I, know, this is AA we are taking about, what is savings? It is more like, “just write the damn check” for many but still...)

3. Do you prefer to purchase preowned gear at tremendous savings which allows you to reach lofty heights and enjoy your gear knowing you won’t take much of a hit on resale?

4. “Other philosophy” and please share your thoughts
I started out in the head-fi world as a clear #1. It's much easier to move from entry level to high end in the headphone world (and much cheaper). Now that I have entered the 2-channel world I am more of a #3 as my budget is limited (relatively) and some of the members here have helped me build my system at a tremendous savings from buying new.

If I do plan on a big upgrade I generally give myself several months to save up and make sure it's not just an impulse.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs