View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks Dan, the shelves are from Ikea They come unfinished and look pretty horrible, but they take on a nice honey colour if you sand it, then use the right stain and varnish.

Still-One, the PBD MPS-5 is by far the best CD player I have ever owned. I have to admit that when I was evaluating it, it was sitting on a wooden shelf and was using my Transparent interconnects. The Cary was on my glass shelf and I was using Acrolink interconnects. I must say I have never been a big believer that shelves and interconnects made THAT much of a difference. I believed that longer I/C's benefited more, and these short run I/C's couldn't make much of a difference.

Anyway, after I sold the Cary, I moved the MPS-5 to pride of place on my shelf. Since the Acrolink was already wired up to my preamp, I plugged it in. Holy Moly ... my jaw dropped. Suddenly the MPS-5 sounded like the Cary! Had I just wasted $15,000 when it was the interconnect all along?

I swapped the I/C's back over and the magic came back. Yes, it is better than the Cary.

The second conclusion: Transparent I/C's are way superior to Acrolink.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here