Thread: C2600....
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I upgraded from a McIntosh C50 (solid state) pre amp, to a C2500 (tube) unit, driving my MC452 power amp, after several of my audiophile friends thought I'd enjoy the "tube sound" more.

I immediately found that well-recorded acoustic pianos and violins sounded more "realistic" and more "musical".

Once I had about 200 hours on the C2500, there was no going back to the C50, which is an excellent pre amp.

I use an external DAC, so the DAC built into the pre amps would not be a selling point for me. But the C2600 has a newer generation ESS DAC chipset, so if anything, should be a bit better than the C2500.

In either case, I think that the McIntosh tube pre amp is a great match for the MC452. One of my audiophile buddies said that all the McIntosh employees he knows, who do not have an integrated amp at home, have tube pre amps!
Thx..appreciate you sharing your thoughts. My vinyl collection is growing lately. So theres quite a bit of analogue stuff. At times my system with those ribbon tweeters can be a bit bright. I'm thinking the c2600 would smooth that out. You know I really didnt know how much a role a tube or SS preamp would play.

Looking forward to testing one out. Thx again for sharing your impressions.