View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 PM

Hi nvp,

You are certainly correct in pointing out that a single subwoofer can help to load a room more optimally than loudspeakers alone (at least in one point in space.) Ideally you want multiple subwoofers if we are dealing with the kind of issues you are writing about.

My answer was tailored to the question at hand, which contextually involved a 1970s notion of letting subwoofers do what they do well (go low and loud) and letting loudspeakers do everything else. Back then, small woofers were very limited in achieving relevant levels of output at low frequencies with low levels of distortion.

Best regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
With all due respect, Mr. Butler, but your comment above is very naive. The addition of a 3rd bass source, i.e. subwoofer, in a stereo system with (almost) full rage speakers does much more than just increase the volume of the bass and/or extend the bass. A 3rd bass source in the room will affect the interference pattern of the bass waves significantly. This allows one to tune/improve the bass response at the listening position by moving the subwoofer around the room. Basically, 3 bass sources (one of which being mobile) makes it easier to achieve a more even (i.e. with less peaks and/or valleys) bass response at the listening room. This requires some knowledge, but is not rocket science. One should also realise that these days there are many automated solutions available (e.g. room correction units, or pre-amps and receivers with room correction functions) that are able to integrate one (or more) subwoofer(s) with the main speakers seamlessly.

IMO there is no straight answer to the original question. It really depends on the room. In some rooms one might obtain better results by running the 803s full range, while in other rooms it might be better to send the low bass to the subwoofer alone. Of course, using the 803s as a pair of monitors by crossing over the bass too high would be a waste.