View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio badger View Post

Marc,
Can you comment on how the sound differs between the C2300/MC452 combo and the Ref5/Ref75 combo? A much different sound with a tube amp vs solid state? Does the Ref75 pack as much punch? What are the "certain areas" where you hear improvement? Just really curious to hear your impressions. Thanks.
Hmm the more I think about it, I shouldn't have made the difference sound so small. The improvements are across the board, but some aren't apparent until you spend some time with these components.

I think the Soundstage is deeper and wider than the Mc gear, but I will most likely attribute that to the Ref 5. The depth and texture of the bass is a huge improvement over the mc452, and I attribute that to the ref75. timbre and purity of the midrange is a combination of the two components working together.

The ref75 sounds very much like solid state where it needs to, in bass punch and immediacy. But it sounds like tubes where it needs to, in voices. And surprisingly, It has way more power than you'd ever guess. I don't miss any watts.

The combo is really impressive.

But I think Mc usability, build quality, and looks are better... And the Mc combo is a very good value.

So I strongly suggest that anyone considering a wholesale move do an in home demo. And... Don't mix and match the two brands. You won't get your money's worth.