View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknik1 View Post
If I may Parabellum, you should seriously consider getting rid of the 50ft lan cable and switching to optical which is cheaper then a good lan cable and considerably better sounding.
Yes, please. Actually, this is what I did today when I came back from work. Since I was able to transfer all my digital files onto the internal SSD HD of the BDP-2, I wanted to break free from the PC and I installed Rigelian to stream music straight from the BDP-2. As expected and hoped, sound quality improved considerably since the router and lan cable are no longer in the Hi Fi chain.

Here is how I was connecting everything before :

PC with Roon Core & Roon Remote with iPhone ---> AIFF files Streams WiFi to Netgear R7000 ---> 50 ft Cat6 network cable ---> Bryston BDP-2 ---> Curious USB cable ---> Bryston BDA-3

And this is how it is now:

Rigelian app with iPhone (R7000 router with 50 ft lan cable for control only) ---> Bryston BDP-2 (AIFF files on internal SSD) ---> Curious USB cable ---> Bryston BDA-3

Final step to this setup would be to install the Bryston WiFi dongle to cut the lan wire for good.

As a side note, not much is said about Rigelian but I find it to be a quite nice piece of software especially for Bryston BDPs. Very clean layout, easy to use à la Roon. Annual fee is a 4.49$ and a no brainer. I didn't tried mPod before and I know that Rigelian replaced it. With a BDP and Rigelian, I don't think I will subscribe next year to Roon as it does not allow the BDP to be a RoonCore. I prefer the idea to have all my digital files on the internal SSD, and backed up on another drive, to not compromise a hair in sound quality.