View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
Ryan,

I'll take a stab at answering your question regarding a Koetsu Rosewood v. a Lyra Kleos. Although I don't have first hand knowledge of the Rosewood, I do own a Koetsu Vermillion and a Lyra Kleos so the comparison may be comparable. As you stated, the Koetsu provides tremendous warmth and it's wonderful as you know on jazz and vocals. However, it does not have the speed, dynamics and low-end that the Kleos possesses in spades. Your transition to the SF speakers may give you the "warmth" you seek. I find myself missing the Koetsu's midrange warmth when I listen to the Kleos and the speed of the Lyra on certain pieces when I listen to the Koetsu.

As you move up the Koetsu line (e.g. Rosewood Platinum), the sound may be more neutral (read "fast") without losing that Koetsu magic. My druthers more times than not was with the Vermillion which may reflect more my taste in music (jazz and vocals). I eventually got an Lyra Etna SL, which was finally able to provide the best of both worlds IMHO.
Thanks for your insights! This gives me a lot to consider. A friend of mine has a Koetsu Jade and I think you are right-on with your assessment of a more neutral sound moving up the line. His Jade really digs out quite a bit of detail, but I'm thinking that one may be a bit more than my tone arm (and wallet) can handle, lol!

I've had my Rosewood longer than any other cartridge I've owned, but like cars, I always try to have this conversation with myself before the secondary value drops off. Right now, it is in perfect shape, is performing beautifully and could be sold or traded in good confidence.

Decisions, decisions :-)