View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Semi-audiophile

Despite having the Premiums for about five and a half weeks, they have only 18 hours on them. What has been consistent, even when I jumped the gun and swapped tubes on 11/12, is their attributes as displayed in my setup.

What has emerged overall is a fuller, slightly more detailed bottom end. Maybe "refined" is a good word to use. There was perhaps a bit more punch with the Black Diamond tubes over the Gold Lions I use in my preamp currently, but the PC's characteristics stand, still present but affected by the tube change. I wonder if, when my wallet recovers from the holidays and the heavy spending over the last month and a half (which now includes replacing two crowns, though insurance covers most of it), I might not explore the idea of putting a Premium on my preamp. That might be overkill, putting a 10AWG cord on a preamp, but the difference changing from a WW Electra to the Transparent HPPC was so dramatic, I'd consider doing it. I think a custom length (1.5m) would still be $600, though.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks