Thread: Linn amps
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM

I had a Klimax Twin for a couple of years, paired with my Klimax DSM and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms. The sound was detailed and smooth with good soundstage and imaging. It was also very good looking, had a nice auto-on feature, and never ran hot. I was quite happy with it until I changed speakers to the Amati Futuras. It still sounded great with the Amatis at moderate volume levels, but it started to run out of steam a bit at higher volume and the sound became a little congested and the bass got a bit sloppy. The Amatis are not the easiest of loads (the impedance dips down into the 2-3 ohm range in the upper bass-lower mid-range), and the Twin with it’s switch-mode power supply and 120 watts wasn’t a great match.

I don’t have any experience with the Classe, but it has a good reputation and I think is in the same price range as the Twin, so I’m not sure that would be an upgrade. A pair of Monos might be a different story. Your signature doesn’t show any equipment, what speakers and pre would you be using?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2