Thread: Periphery clamp
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......That individual is deep into vinyl, no doubt about it.

Using an outer edge clamp might yield some damping to the vibrations induced by the stylus in the album during playback, but using the spindle clamp makes the most sense to me. It couples the vinyl to the platter, essentially doing the same thing. An outer edge calmp, such as the one in the video, would be a proprietary device that would have to be manufartured exclusively for the turntable platter it was to be use on, otherwise a perfect fit would be impossible because all turntable platters are not the same diameter. Futhermore, were the vinyl slightly warped, the clamp would not set flush to the entire circumference of the outer edge of the album, and this would not be an advantage, in my opinion.
Thanks Dan,

That makes sense. I think I will try the Clearaudio one. ( 1,5 kgs ! )
But have you see this one : TTSuperRing Outer Stabilizer 1150 Gram 2 layer Dampened Nickel Plated (Bright Silver Finish). There is also a lighter one : 600 gms.
Anyway I will first use your method to unwarp LPs in the oven.
Hopefully the precision was added about celsius because I would have put them at 145 °C and think my wife would not be happy at all ( not to mention my record !! )

Cheers

Jérôme

Last edited by Jerome W; 10-02-2009 at 01:33 PM.