View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 AM

Default Linn v Aurender anyone?

Jamie, I'm in the reverse position as Dan: I have no experience with Aurender but have owned an Akurate DS and currently have a Klimax DSM and Sneaky DS. The Akurate is a very good streamer and a big step up from the Majik. Differences to the Aurender that I'm aware of are that the Aurender N10 is a server/streamer with its own internal storage but uses an external DAC. The Linn is a network streamer with its own internal DAC but uses external network storage. The sound is excellent. I'm not sure what prices are in Oz but suspect the Akurate DS is in the same range as the N10. The Akurate has balanced and single-ended analog outputs, and now has SPACE, essentially a process to equalize for room nodes (does not have to be enabled).

One other difference to be aware of: Linn does not support DSD, and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Along with a few other companies, they have taken the position that DSD is unnecessary and in fact may not be as good as PCM if PCM is done right. They are also in the anti-MQA camp, believing that the licensing requirements and control of the music and process by MQA are too limiting in the long run. So if you go with Linn it means you buy into their philosophy concerning these technologies (which I do, but that's another story.)

Both are fine products, you could almost make your decision based on features.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 01-11-2017 at 12:25 AM.