View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I am seriously considering placing either Stillpoint Ultra SS or Stillpoint 5 isolation supports under my Sophia 2's, in place of the current brass spikes. I know that at least one member has done so. My questions are:

1) Does floor/carpet matter a lot? (I have Berber carpet over concrete)

2) Is the 5 worth the much bigger bucks?

3) Screwed on or narrow cup up (which makes me worry about stability)?

4) Is isolation under a Wilson heresy? (, this last question is kidding, if it works I am interested).
1) Carpet does not seem to matter. Stillpoints convert vibrational energy into friction which coverts to heat. They work differently than spikes which attempt to transfer vibrations somewhere else.

2) Imo, the Ultra5s are definitely worth the extra dinero for speakers. And if you upgrade speakers the 5s will move to the new ones. (Get a set of four UltraSS for your amp(s) - you will not be dissapointed.)

3) Not sure about the question. SPs have an adapter - one end screws into Stillpoint footer and the other end into speaker - designed for Wilsons. This also allows you to level precisely the speaker. To be sure I'd shoot them an e-mail specifically about an adapter for your Sophia 2s. The picture in the TAS linked article (above) shows proper installation.

4) Heresy? Every component operates within the context of a subsystem and the Stillpoints-Wilson pairing is synergistically orthodoxical.

I have similar to your berber over concrete. Works great! The SPs are very effective, no stability issues. Pricey, yeah, but once they were in place I had no thoughts about taking them out.

Ultra5s under Alexias