View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful review. For me, the money quote was "The MF-2550 SE’s transparency had me paying far more attention to individual leaves on the trees instead of what was going on in the rest of the forest." That is precisely why I opted for the non-SE version -- the SE, with all that Teflon, struck me as "detailed" to the point of distraction. Impressive, but not "musical," to use the cliche. Many would I am sure disagree with this, but for me, it was not about money, but what I liked the listening experience to be. However, I have Teflon caps in my CJ preamp (Classic SE), and that gets me the amazing detail that Teflon delivers, without the need for doubling down on the amp. It does not appear that you listened to the standard model. I think you might have liked it better than the SE, given your comments. RE the 350, which I have only heard a few times, it's a great amp, which seems to do everything well. However, the sound is clearly shaped by the Teflon caps, as with the 2550SE, and as great as it is, I doubt I could live with it either.

Thank you for the review, very informative. One man question is. The cj350sa was a very high gain amp and in my experience just a little to noisy and that noise could be seen as a_bit of edge and that was it biggest fault IMO.

How is the new amp as far as noise for and overall noise floor. It seems that the new amp is a little tighter in the bass, more neutral through the MIDs anspd has that classic ck upper frequency sweetness and extension. I could be reading that wrong?

BTW, as a owner of the ART1, ART3, GAt and 350 twice, the overall impression of the Teflon calls being lean or similar is incorrect. Yes they take an age to break in. But once they do, they sound like or running water. The non Teflon cap versions soud grainy in comparison.

Last edited by turntable; 08-23-2014 at 12:39 PM.