View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Budget is totally Ok with either.

My debate has been based on the reports that the Yggy tends to err on the side of slightly brighter than the Gumby multibit.

I have a strong aversion to brightness (and with B&W 800s which can run a little hot in the tweeter, I’ve gone to great lengths to tone down the brightness).

I bought the c2300 tube preamplifier to tame the speakers some.

I worry that the Yggy may be more “transparent” and faithful to the original recording (many of which are mixed “hot”) but the Gumby may take some of the edge off. If this is the case (and the Gumby perhaps isn’t as faithful to the original recording, but more listenable as a result due to some smoothing as a result, I’d lean that way.

You are uniquely qualified as one who has owned both DACs. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.
Could not be further from the truth. First of all neither are bright by the standard definition we audiophiles tend apply to that term. Second of all, if anything, the YggY rebooted (ver.2) is probably a bit on the too smooth and buttery side for some systems. My Luxman SACD player sounded more incisive and enthusiastic up top although even the Luxman is not bright. The YggY serves it up in such a natural and unforced way that one tends to over analyze it thinking there must be something missing when in reality it just sound very natural. I am also intolerant of hyper responsive treble and believe me neither Gumby or YggY have ever left me cringing with the typical genres of music and various recording qualities I have listened to.

Besides, if you are purchasing from Schiit direct, you have 15 days to try it out. YggY did not change as noticeably as Gumby did and what you will hear from YggY on day 1 will persist so you can quickly tell if this DAC is your flavor or not. Although I do not own either of them anymore simply because it would have been redundant and my plans for a second system did not materialize, I have nothing but fond memories of both and nothing but praise.