Thread: Sooloos Tips
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Victor, thanks for the quick reply--and Masterlu for the welcome.

I'd be very surprised if this disc is HDCD encoded--self-produced by Scott Alarik with his own songs on it, called All That Is True. There's certainly no indication that it's HDCD, but it's not important. You've confirmed my assumption, anyway, that Sooloos just assigns a nominal Quality to each album based on some interpretation of bit depth and resolution cutoffs, yes? I'll probably want to tag to a more granular level anyway, like specifying 24x96 or SACD as source, etc.

I'm dismayed to hear that they are not providing any kind of viable migration path that includes access to the metadata that one must so laboriously collect, groom, and massage. That is one of the primary reasons I went with Sooloos--access to good metadata--along with interface and sound quality, of course. But having no long-term migration scenario is a bummer, imho.

I certainly like most everything else I've done with the system so far. I owned Qsonix and built a PC-based system in the past, but decided to go with Sooloos for the reasons mentioned above and REALLY like it so far.

Cheers,
Jerry