View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochurchgo View Post
The S40 is high on my list. I'm coming from Focal 807v's which I have had for 5 years now. Other than their lack of bass I like them. But I'm ready to move on up.

I've not yet heard any Dynaudios so I'd be going in cold. I'm currently, and might forever be an apartment dweller so I have dismissed thoughts of floor standers and subs so I'd like to hear more about the bass output. While they do go lower than my Focals on paper, comparing the Stereophile anechoic graphs seem to indicate I'd be getting quality a bit more bass. Which is good. Some of the music I like is very bass heavy and while I'm not looking for 12" woofer style bass from 6" drivers, I am cusrious to know how good the bass can be. When I started my search, either of the Buchardts were high on the list. I'm still curious about them but people seem really passionate about Dyns and other than said Stereophile review, everyone seems to love these. That said, my max budget is $5k and so I wonder if going with the S40's is leaving enjoyment on the table (though most likely a step up from the Focals). All the adjesctives about "fun", "musical" and "toe tapping" get me excited. If their bass is good I will probably go in this direction.

For context, my short list of speakers is:
Spatial M3 TM / Spatial M3 Sapphire (I know, floor standing)
Dynaudio S40
Buchardt S400
Buchardt S300
Focal 1008Be2
There is a reason that so many people love Dynaudios; they are one of the great loudspeaker companies, and reknowned for making very accurate, neutral, yet easy to listen to speakers that do music justice.

They are speakers you can keep and enjoy for many years. If you need more bass than the S40s provide, I'd recommend getting a small REL sub-bass unit and integrating that with them. They also provide exception service and support, and can manufacture any driver you may need even if that driver is no longer available as a spare part (10 years after discontinuation of a model). So, when considering which speaker you end up with, I recommend you fully consider the service, support, spares and replacement capabilities of a company. Dynaudio is superb with respect to after-sales support and service.

As for JA's comments about cabinet "resonances" from his measurements, I wouldn't worry about it. What's important is how something perfounds and sounds in the real world.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-24-2019 at 09:31 PM.