View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Howiebrou,

Now that you've had several months, can you talk a little more about the 211 tube and your thoughts on it? I have a 300B amp and have recently begun speaking with a custom amp maker who specializes in a similar approach to a 211 tube as Kondo san did. So I'm ultimately trying to ascertain whether I want to jump at the 211 or stick with 300B's. I would, therefore, welcome any other input you might have and if you could share some more about what you compared before choosing the 211. Thanks!
I have not listened to too many 300B amps but I would characterise them as being ultra smooth, romantic almost like velvet in their presentation. The 211 valve is very different and almost not valve like in that it feels very powerful. Strings are plucked and there is a palpable immediacy about the way instruments are performed and voices are heard. Relatively you could say the 211 has an attacking presentation, almost aggressive yet retains the fabulous midrange that makes SETs so desirable. Perhaps one could say coarse compared to 300B but not compared to SS amps.

I continue to be amazed by the Ongaku and now know why it has been such a coveted piece.

howie