View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 AM
Semi-audiophile

Except for my turntable (captive cord), LD player, and a secondary BD player, all my component power cords are Transparent. My power conditioners and TV have Shunyata Venom products. My interconnects are all Transparent except for the tuner, which has Kimber Hero on it; I never replaced it and don't see a great need to, unless I want to be a completist. I could say that on digital sources in particular, the Transparent is slightly smoother on top than the Kimber, which is the main reason I moved to Transparent ICs. The tuner is analog and the Kimber seems just right for it. I had an all-Hero setup before, but some bright CDs moved me to seek a change.

Going with a single manufacturer has psychological advantages and offers uniformity, eliminating a potential variable I suppose, but then does it matter if all the cables/cords are the same model within the manufacturer's line? Do they need to be? For example, my power cords are Transparent HPPCs on components, but on my amps I have Premiums; before those were HPPCs also. The Premiums gave me a better bottom end. Should I switch to all Premiums because of that? I think not, perhaps the preamp, but not everything. I can't afford it anyway.

So, my perspective is to use whatever cable does what I want/need to happen, and also consider the components involved in my choices. Maybe I lack a discerning ear, but I don't notice anything untoward when I play my system.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-02-2019 at 06:11 AM.